maternal effects of Atlantic cod: Combining the use of unique mesocosm and
novel molecular techniques
A joint RTD project for the FP5 - Quality of Life and Management of Living
The main objectives of the project are:
- 1. To examine the viability of offspring
from recruit (first-time) female spawners compared to offspring from
repeat (elder) female spawners of Atlantic cod.
- 2. To examine variations in viability
between offspring of individual pairs of cod.
- 3. To analyse the demographic structure
(age-, sex- and maturity structure) of selected European cod stocks by
means of historical data sets.
- 4. Based on the results of objectives 1.,
2. and 3., to evaluate the possible effects on cod recruitment and
implications for fishery management.
Last updated 07 September 2004